Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Photo Shoot with Walker


It is seldom that I have the enjoyment of an impromptu photo shoot.  This weekend's trip to the Phoenix West Condominiums in Orange Beach, AL provided corresponding variables that allowed for such an event.

Our family was invited to a long weekend stay at the beach during the Independence Day holiday.  Our hosts, per the norm for our stays at the beach, were my in-laws.  They are always very gracious and accomodating.  We always have a great time, regardless of the weather.

Walker always likes to check everything out when we reach our destination.  He is a "no stone unturned" type of gentleman.  He had made his way to the balcony of our condo and I saw a perfect opportunity to snap some pics with my prime lens that I ought to use more than I do.

The trouble with a prime lens is that it is not a "utility" lens, which means its versatility is rather limited. It has a fixed focal length, so you are unable to zoom in or out, you just have to move your feet.  It's rather interesting how this one feature can limit the use of a lens to the point of rarely taking it our of your camera bag, but with children running around, you need a lens that can chase them so you don't have to.

My prime lens is a 50mm f/1.4.  The 50mm prime is the traditional portraiture lens for photogs in the know.  However, since I use a crop sensor camera (Nikon D7000) and not a full-frame sensor, it translates to what would be the equivalent of an 85mm.  But it is still remarkable.  What makes it remarkable is the f/1.4, which is the aperture (the amount of light the lens allows to pass to the sensor).  When you have a lens in your bag that has an aperture this large, it allows you to capture light much more quickly than with a normal zoom "kit" lens.  

So Walker was checking out the balcony, which did not have much walking around room, and I had the "aha" moment of "Quick! Put the prime on the camera and take some pics!"  Well, I was pleased with my allowance of images that were granted to me by a somewhat cooperating three year old.  

This first image caught him off guard.  This is Walker's usual "I'm not into fashion" pose.  


I quickly hold my left index finger up. HE LOOKS!!!
Another great pic.


So now he starts to warm up to the camera because I let hime see the pics I take.


And gets silly.






This is my favorite. Encapsulating the essence of
the three year old boy.



Then he just felt like laughing to hear himself laugh.





I think a bird flew by.








I tied to get a serious pic before I put the camera away.
He actually took direction well for three years old.
I just told him not to smile. Presto change-O!
Happy American to Unicef poster child in
less than 5 seconds!  What can I say, the kid
has talent!




A few curve adjustments in photoshop and that was that.  Now I just need to do a photo shoot with Molly Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment